Intimately touched by his wife’s breast cancer diagnosis and the loss of her mother to lung cancer, Chef Curtiss Hemm now channels his professional skills and time toward raising awareness and supporting organizations that are on the frontline in the fight against cancer.
From Chef Curtiss: The whole wheat pasta lends a wonderful nutty flavor that pairs nicely with the extra virgin olive oil, the peppery arugula, and the assertive pecorino romano cheese. For a more plant-based focus, add more arugula or cut back on the pasta to get a better ratio of greens to pasta. This can serve eight or more as a secondi course.
Whole Wheat Pasta with Arugula & Peas
- 1lbwhole wheat pasta
- 2cupspeas, frozen
- 2Tbspextra virgin olive oil
- 1medium lemon, juiced
- dashblack pepper
- 1ozpecorino romano cheese, grated
- Prepare the pasta as per manufacturer’s directions.
- While pasta is cooking place the arugula, olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon juice in a large serving bowl.
- When the pasta is about 1 minute from being al dente add the peas to the pasta water. Finish cooking for another minute and then drain pasta.
- Add the drained pasta and peas to the serving bowl and toss well to combine. Season wit salt and pepper and top with grated cheese just before service.
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 545
- Total Fat: 10.60g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Sodium: 163mg
- Total Carbs: 99.63g
- Dietary Fiber: 15.65g
- Sugars: 3.61g
- Protein: 14.47g
Chef Curtiss Hemm is the founder and Executive Director of Pink Ribbon Cooking, LLC. He is the author of Garde Manger: The Cold Kitchen, a contemporary culinary textbook. He currently sits on the Vermont Hope Lodge Advisory Committee Council 2013 and the Vermonters Taking Action Against Cancer (www.vtaac.org) Quality of Life Work Group. Learn more at www.pinkribboncooking.com.