1 1/4 cups each
- 1cupcubed whole-wheat country bread
- 2tspextra-virgin olive oil
- 4medium tomatoes, divided
- 3Tbspreduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2Tbspminced chives or scallion greens
- 2tspdistilled white vinegar
- 1/4tspgarlic powder
- 5cupschopped hearts of romaine lettuce
- 3center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1pinchground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss bread with oil and spread on a baking sheet. Bake, turning once, until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut 1 tomato in half. Working over a large bowl, shred both halves using the large holes on a box grater. Discard the skin. Add mayonnaise, chives (or scallion greens), vinegar, garlic powder and pepper; whisk to combine.
- Chop the remaining 3 tomatoes. Add the tomatoes, romaine and croutons to the bowl with the dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon.