Store bought marina sauce can contain up to 10 grams of sugar per serving. This recipe uses shredded carrot to add natural sweetness in order cut the acidity of the tomatoes and to reduce the amount of added sugar in your diet. For added nutrition, try adding any of your favorite vegetables such as shredded zucchini or chopped peppers.
- 1Tbspolive oil
- 1medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1large carrot, peeled and grated
- 2celery stalks, chopped
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 228-oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1tspeach; dried basil, oregano and parsley
- Add olive oil to large pot and sauté chopped onion, celery and garlic on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, shredded carrot and dried herbs.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper and/or additional spices to taste.
- Optional: Use an immersion blender if a smooth consistency is desired. This can be useful when using the sauce for pizza or serving the sauce to kids.
- Serve and enjoy!