Hearty kale often withstands the first frost of the season so it’s likely you’ll find all different varieties through the fall. Here emerald-green lacinato kale gives this salad a garden-fresh look, but any type of kale will work. For the best flavor, toss the salad with the dressing about 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve—the sturdy kale leaves won’t wilt from the dressing and taste even better after they’ve been marinated in it.
- 1small shallot, chopped
- 1/4cupcider vinegar
- 3Tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 2Tbspapple cider
- 1 1/2Tbspwhole-grain mustard
- 2tsppure maple syrup
- Ground pepper to taste
- 10cupscoarsely chopped lacinato kale (1-2 large bunches)
- 2sweet-tart apples, such as Golden Russet or Jonagold, cut into matchsticks
- 3cupsmatchstick-cut carrots
- 1cup matchstick-cut radishes
- 3/4cupflat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- To prepare vinaigrette: Puree shallot, vinegar, oil, cider, mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper in a blender or mini food processor until smooth and creamy.
- To prepare salad: Toss kale, apples, carrots, radishes and parsley in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing; toss to coat.