- 1lbSwiss chard, stems cut from the leaves and stems and leaves chopped separately
- 1/8tspdried hot red pepper flakes or to taste
- 2large garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2Tbsplarge garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/2cuplarge garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1cuplarge garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/2lblarge garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/2cupgrated Parmesan cheese, plus addition as an accompaniment
- Rinse and drain the Swiss chard stems and leaves separately.
- In a large heavy skillet cook the red pepper flakes and garlic in the oil over moderate heat, stirring, until garlic is pale golden.
- Add the stems and ¼ cup of the water. Cover and cook the mixture for 5 minutes or until the stems are just tender.
- Add the leaves with the remaining ¼ cup water and salt and pepper to taste and cook the mixture, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook the mixture, covered, for 3 minutes, or until the leaves are tender.
- While the chard is cooking, in a kettle of salted boiling water, boil the penne until it is al dente and drain in a colander.
- In a large bowl toss the penne with the chard mixture and ¼ cup of the Parmesan and serve with additional Parmesan.