1 cup each
- 4cupsthinly sliced onions
- 2Tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 4cupscherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2cupthinly sliced garlic, plus 1 whole clove, halved
- 3cupsreduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 6slices whole-grain country bread
- 1/2cupchopped fresh basil
- 6Tbspfinely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat over to 450°F.
- Toss onions, oil, salt and pepper in a 9-by-13-inch pan. Roast the onions, stirring once or twice, until starting to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 cup garlic and continue roasting, stirring once, until the tomatoes are falling apart and beginning to brown in spots, about 20 minutes more.
- Transfer the onion-tomato mixture to a large saucepan. Add broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place bread on a large baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 10 minutes. Rub both sides of the toasted bread with the halved garlic clove. (Discard remaining garlic.)
- To serve, place a piece of toasted bread in a shallow soup bowl. Ladle about 1 cup soup over it. Sprinkle with basil and cheese; serve immediately.