Granola bars are a great snack for energy during the day. While there are naturally occurring sugars from the dried fruit, this recipe does not have any added sugar. Use this recipe with limited ingredients to make your own granola bars at home and decrease the amount of added sugar in your diet.
- 1cuppitted dates
- 2cupswalnuts or Brazil nuts (replace with pumpkin or sunflower seeds to make it nut free)
- 2cupsunsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4cupunsweetened dried cranberries (can replace with raisins as a variation)
- First, toast the walnuts slightly in an oven at 170 degrees. Let them cool before progressing on to the next step.
- Once cool, place the toasted walnuts, dates, shredded coconut and cranberries in a food processor.
- Process until the mixture is well combined and has a crumbly texture.
- Once combined, gradually add water a tablespoon at a time and keep processing until the mixture is sticky and holds together.
- Place mixture in a square baking dish that has been lined with plastic wrap. Press down firmly to ensure the mixture sticks together well.
- Place dish in the fridge for 2-3 hours. Once firm, cut into bars and sprinkle with the shredded coconut.
- Serve and enjoy! For any leftovers, store in the fridge in order for them to last longer.