- 1Tbspolive oil, plus more for serving
- 1medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1Tbsptomato paste
- 1tspdried oregano
- 1tspdried thyme
- 1cuplentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1container(14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 1/2lbSwiss chard, stalks cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces, leaves torn into 2-inches pieces (keep stalks and leaves separate).
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Bread, for serving (optional)
- In a large saucepan with a lid, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened and browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, oregano, and thyme; stir to combine.
- Add lentils, 5 cups of water, and tomatoes with their juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes. Add chard stalks and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add chard leaves; season with salt and pepper, and cook until lentils and chard are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice; ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle with olive oil, and serve with bread, if desired.