According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 5.8 million people ages of 25 and 64 had multiple jobs in 2014.
Here are five ideas to help you earn money by using a skill or interest.
5 Ways to Earn Extra Money
- Sell your unwanted stuff. Got unwanted clothing, electronics, furniture, or toys? Host a garage sale, or sell it online through Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, or Etsy. You can make a tidy sum when you tidy up!
- Monetize something you like to do. Like shopping? Become a mystery shopper. Love photography? Sell your images to stock photo sites. Are you crafty? Try Etsy. There are tons of ideas: pet-sitting, yard work, music lessons, dog walking. Brainstorm! Get inspired by Andrea, who started a side business baking specialty cookies.
- Become a virtual assistant. There are plenty of digital tasks and research to be done. Sign up for Amazon’s Mechanical Turk, ShortTask, or FancyHands.
- Offer your expertise. Take on freelance jobs and sign up for services like Thumbtack to connect with potential clients. You can also list your services on Elance or Freelancer.com.
- Tutor or teach. You can sign up and get certified on sites like Tutor.com, InstaEDU, TutorVista or offer a class through services like Skillshare. Or, talk to your local colleges and universities about teaching a class.
Want more ideas? Check out LifeHack’s “50 Businesses You Can Start in Your Spare Time.”