If you are hosting a New Year’s Eve party, following a few simple rules could prevent a tragedy.
5 Tips to Stay Safe on New Year’s Eve
- Plan ahead. Name a “designated driver or drivers.” Make this your responsibility as the host.
- Provide options. Contact a local cab company to provide rides for your guests.
- Expand your menu. Serve non-alcoholic beverages as an option to your guests. Epicurious.com has a number of great options to choose from!
- Be a responsible host. Stop serving alcohol to your guests several hours before the party ends. Ensure that water, juice, and soda is plentiful.
- Give guests options. Provide your guests with a place to stay overnight in your home.
3 Ways to Stay Safe While You Are Out Celebrating
Not hosting a party? When you are attending New Year’s Eve parties and celebrations…
- If you drink, don’t drive. Plan ahead and always designate a sober driver before the party or celebration begins. If you are impaired, call a taxi, use mass transit, or ask a sober friend or family member to pick you up. Or, stay where you are until you are sober.
- If you don’t drink, but do drive, be alert and aware of your surroundings. Use seat belts!
- Be a good friend. Take the keys from someone if you think he/she is too impaired to drive.
Watch Out For Your Furry Friends
Nothing frightens pets more than sudden loud noises — like the pop of a champagne bottle. Give extra attention to pets so that they do not run away in a panic. Scared, running pets may be hit by cars, cause accidents, and become lost. Keep pets inside, in a room with comforting music playing to drown out noises and make sure all fences and gates are secure so if pets leave the house, they are confined to the yard.
Here’s to a happy and healthy 2020!