Successfully quitting tobacco requires that you work with your WHOLE SELF—body, mind and spirit, so to speak. It’s these aspects of the human personality that are all involved simultaneously in your day-to-day living and decision-making.
The first step is to CHANGE your MIND by ‘losing’ or ‘loosening’ and ‘letting go’ of your desire to smoke. That involves making a decision to think and act differently and designing a new plan and then repeating that new plan on a regular and routine basis, mainly because YOU want to; it is your choice and your decision as to whether you want to make the changes for your own self. I recommend that instead of repeatedly telling yourself how difficult it is to quit, that you get busy using your powerful mind to figure out how you can make it easy on yourself.
Here are 4 things you may not have known that have made quitting difficult in the past:
- The tobacco industry has increased the amount of nicotine in cigarettes to keep you more addicted!
- Nicotine Replacement items, such as patches, gum, or lozenges do not guarantee a successful quit; these do deliver “CLEAN NICOTINE” and are designed to ease withdrawal from nicotine, so that you can practice new habits other than smoking. Once you quit, make clean nicotine your default. Always choose clean nicotine and you can stay tobacco free for life.
- Forgetting that your quit must be for YOU! It is your health, your body and your mind and being that will benefit directly. All of your loved ones who are cheering you on and in support of your quit will benefit also, by having you around longer and healthier.
- Giving power to the tobacco. Your MIND is way more powerful than any old little cylinder of paper with brown leaves rolled up into it. The main force in any successful quit is the power of your mind over your body, meaning when you are ready.
Coaching Tip: Write your own prescription for fueling your body with healthy food, eexercise, and fun factors! Make notes on some things you can do to stimulate your Mind and activate new friendships, or social opportunities that do not include tobacco.
Coaching Tip: Take a break. BREATHE more slowly, more deeply, more rhythmically and from the lower belly; expand your abdomen upon inhaling and count to 5, pause, then breathe out slowly through pursed lips. Breathing in this manner immediately activates relaxation.
Health and happiness are never to be found in a cigarette.
So, you take your hard-earned money and put it back into your own pocket and you will be much happier and healthier right in that very moment!
- For every day that you don’t smoke, pay yourself $10.00 and do this every day for 365 days and you will have given yourself a cash raise of $3,650!
- And, because you cannot buy HEALTH, you may as well take your time plus your energy (Time + Energy = Action) and apply some new behaviors to create health. Health is an inside job: Take charge of yours and simply refuse to do business with the tobacco industry. They are a business that will never give you a refund.
You can quit tobacco for a life of health and happiness. So, get started today.
Evy Smith, MA LCMHC, CTTS-M, is an EFAP Counselor & Tobacco Treatment Specialist at the University of Vermont Medical Center.