Butternut squash is an excellent source of vitamin A and vitamin C. It is also a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin B6, manganese, and copper as well as a good source of potassium, vitamin B2, folate, and vitamin K, among others.
Did we also mention that it’s delicious? Enjoy butternut squash in this soup recipe — the perfect way to warm up a cold December day.
Butternut Squash Soup
- 2lbbutternut squash
- 1clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1stalk celery, chopped
- 1carrot, chopped
- 2cupsvegetable stock
- 3Tbspolive oil
- 1thyme, parsley or basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Roast whole squash face down on sheet trays in oven until tender (about 1 hour).
- While squash cools, chop vegetables.
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil in a large soup pot.
- Add celery and carrots and lightly sauté.
- Scoop out squash and mash.
- Add herbs and squash to soup pot, cook one minute.
- Add water and vegetable stock—let simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Purée soup in a food processor or with an immersion blender. Add more water to reach desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.