Three Bean Salad
- 1can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (15 oz.)*
- 1can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (15 oz.)*
- 1can black beans, rinsed and drained (15 oz.)*
- 1/2small red onion, diced
- 1/4cuplemon juice
- 1/3cupolive oil
- 1/4Tbspgarlic powder (use garlic powder for mild version, or two garlic cloves, minced for stronger garlic flavor)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, honey, and cilantro in a blender and puree until smooth. Alternatively, finely mince the cilantro and garlic. Then, mix together all of the dressing ingredients.
- Toss the dressing in with beans and chopped onion. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for a few hours (or overnight).
- Serve cold.
Note: You can use dry beans. Dry beans double in volume as they soak and cook, and you’ll need to soak beans in a ratio of 4 parts water:1 part beans. To make 6 cups of cooked beans, soak 3 cups of dry beans in 12 cups of water overnight. Then, simmer for about an hour until tender, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Drain and quickly cool the beans until ready for use. They can be stored in the fridge for up to a week until ready to use, or you can make a large batch all at once and freeze part of it.