Carrots are one of the most popular vegetables, a popular snack food and vegetable side dish alike. Try this simple recipe for carrot celeriac slaw for a delicious dose of beta carotene.
Carrots: The Health Benefits of This Veggie
A serving (one medium carrot or ½ cup chopped) provides:
- 210% of the average daily recommended amount of vitamin A
- 10% vitamin K
- 6% vitamin C
- 2% calcium
Carrots are best-known for their high vitamin A content, which comes from beta-carotene.
Fun fact: There’s a reason why ‘carrot’ and ‘carotene’ sound alike. The word carotene was devised in the early 19th century by a German scientist after he crystallized the compound from carrot roots!
From Heart Disease to Cancer: What Does the Research Say About Carrots?
- Eating more deep-orange-colored fruits and vegetables is associated with a lower risk of coronary heart disease (CHD).
- Antioxidants in carrots, including beta-carotene, may play a role in cancer prevention.
- A deficiency in vitamin A can cause your eye’s photoreceptors to deteriorate, which leads to vision problems. Eating foods rich in beta-carotene may restore vision.
- Carrot extract has anti-inflammatory properties and provides anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Carrots are rich sources of potassium, which can relax the tension in your blood vessels and arteries, increase blood flow and circulation, boost organ function, and reduce the stress on the cardiovascular system.
- They have significant amounts of dietary fiber, and fiber is one of the most important elements in maintaining good digestive health.
Carrots, consumed as raw fruits, juice or in a cooked form, are always a good choice for your health!
Carrot Celeriac Slaw
- 2cupsshredded carrots (about 4 medium)
- 1cuppeeled and shredded celeriac
- 2Tbspcanola oil
- 2Tbsplemon juice
- 1small shallot, minced
- 1/4tspblack pepper
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, honey, shallot, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add carrots, celeriac, raisins, and walnuts. Toss to combine.
Get more recipes from the UVM Medical Center. View our Recipe Collection by clicking here.