Cucumbers are far more than a traditional summer vegetable. They are one of the most nutritious and beneficial vegetables to our everyday diet and can be added to a meal to greatly increase nutritional value. Check out this fun, easy and delicious recipe for cucumber cups to start adding cucumbers into your family’s diet.
Cucumbers: The Benefits
Cucumbers are made up of about 95.2% water, but they contain a wide range of vitamins and nutrients, over 13 to be exact! These vitamins and nutrients include: iron, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B (1,2,3,5 and 6), zinc, calcium, folic acid, and phosphorus.
Given the wide variety of benefits, about one cucumber is equal to taking one multivitamin. This provides the same amount of value. The high levels of vitamin B reduce everyday factors such as stress and anxiety. Not only do cucumbers contain vast nutrients, but they are rich in fiber and water, aiding in healthy digestion.
Along with its high nutritional value and content, cucumbers are first choice when it comes to swapping out a side of fries at your summer barbecue. Did you know that one entire cucumber contains about only 16 calories? Paired with some fresh tomatoes or a garden salad, cucumbers are a refreshing substitute for any summer meal. In addition, cucumbers are a healthy way to obtain natural sugars, without a sugar rush! The high vitamin B levels counteract the harmful effects of a sugar rush in contrast to consuming processed sugars.
How to Prepare and Store Cucumbers
You can prepare and serve cucumbers in a variety of ways. Slice them and leave the skin on, or peel the skin and add them to a salad. Pair cucumbers with vegetable dip or hummus or
mix them into your summer coleslaw. Keep cucumbers refrigerated once cut and keep fresh by wrapping in plastic wrap. Generally, cucumbers can last 10 days when refrigerated.
5 Fun Facts
- Cucumbers were adopted into the human diet 4,000 years ago.
- Cucumbers are not all green. They can be orange, yellow and white.
- Pressing a cucumber on the roof of one’s mouth for 30 seconds can instantly relieve bad breath!
- The outside, waxy coating of a cucumber has the same effect as using an eraser, removing ink.
- Use a slice of cucumber to remove tarnish and residue on bathroom appliances and stainless steel. It has the same effects as a cleaner without the
- Peel cucumbers.
- Slice your cucumber into even sections or ‘cups’. You want them to be about 1 1/2 inches or so. Then take a melon baller and scoop out the inside.
- Scoop out enough that you have a good size hole – enough to put filling into.
- Fill cucumbers up with favorite filling and serve! Here are some suggestions: Egg salad, hummus, cottage cheese with salsa, and chicken salad.