Try goat cheese for a lower calorie, easier to digest alternative to traditional cheese. We have a great recipe for crostini for you to try!
Goat cheese: Fewer calories than cow’s cheese
Goat cheese has just 75 calories per ounce—significantly less than popular cow cheeses like mozzarella (85), brie (95), Swiss (108), and cheddar (115).
Think about this: If you substitute a serving of goat cheese for cheddar each day for a week, you will cut nearly 300 calories from your diet.
Adequate Protein to Meet Daily Needs
Substituting goat cheese for can also help you limit your intake of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. You may be wondering: what about protein? Goat cheese does not contain as much protein, but still provides an adequate amount to help you meet your daily needs. A serving of goat cheese contains 4 g of protein.
Easier to Digest
Goat milk has less lactose and a slightly different protein structure than cow’s milk. These subtle shifts actually make a big difference: Even people who are allergic to cow’s milk can usually drink goat’s milk without issue.
Goat Cheese Crostini With Watermelon-Beet Salsa
- 1small golden beet, trimmed and peeled
- 1/2cupdiced seedless watermelon
- 1/4cupchopped red onion
- 2tspwhite balsamic vinegar
- 1/4tspkosher salt
- 1/4tspblack pepper
- 3ozsoft goat cheese
- 16slices, diagonally cut whole-grain French bread baguette, toastes
- 4tspolive oil
- 2Tbspchopped fresh chives
- Wrap beet in microwave-safe parchment paper. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes or until tender. Let stand 5 minutes; thinly slice. Combine sliced beet, watermelon, onion, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon goat cheese onto each bread slice. Divide beet mixture evenly over bread slices. Drizzle each bread slice with 1/4 teaspoon oil; sprinkle evenly with chives.
For more on adding dairy products to your diet, including recipes, book recommendations, and fun activities for kids, check out the Vermont Harvest of the Month website.
Get more recipes from the UVM Medical Center. View our Recipe Collection by clicking here.