Apples are a fantastic healthy snack, full of soluble fiber and immune-boosting vitamin C (providing 14% of the Daily Value). Cook up this delicious fall treat for a healthier sweet!
- 8tart apples
- 1/3cuphoney or maple syrup
- 1tsplemon juice
- 1/2tspvanilla extract
- 1/2cupall-purpose flour
- 1/2cupwhole wheat flour
- 1/2cupbrown sugar
- 1stick unsalted butter, softened
- pinch of salt
- optional: mix in 1/4 to 1/2 cup rolled oats
- optional: add 1/2 cup blueberries, raspberries or rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 375 ˚F.
- Slice and chop the apples, about an ⅛ inch thick—no need to peel!
- In a lightly greased 9” x 13” baking pan, toss the apples together with honey or maple syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, toss the rolled oats with the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add the softened butter and mix well.
- Scatter topping over the apples, all the way to the edge. Bake for 45 minutes, or until apples are tender, the filling is bubbling, and the topping is toasted. Let rest for 20-30 minutes.