Apples are extremely rich in important antioxidants, flavanoids, and dietary fiber. The phytonutrients and antioxidants in apples may help reduce the risk of developing cancer, hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease.
- 8medium-sized Vermont apples
- 1Tbspfresh lemon juice or orange juice
- maple syrup or brown sugar, to taste
- Core and dice apples.
- Place in saucepan, then add 1 inch of water.
- Cook over low heat until soft.
- Mash apples with a spoon or food mill.
- Add lemon or orange juice, cinnamon, and sweetener (to taste); stir until dissolved.
- Serve hot or cold.