Butternut-Apple Crisp Bars
- 3cupsbutternut squash, peeled and sliced
- 3cupstart apples, sliced
- 1/2cupall-purpose flour
- 1/2cupwhole wheat flour
- 1cupbrown sugar or honey
- 1/3cupchopped nuts
- 6Tbspunsalted butter, softened
- 2tspfresh lemon juice
- 1/8tspground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine squash and apple with ½ cup brown sugar or honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan, cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, remaining ½ cup of brown sugar or honey, and salt.
- Stir in butter, until crumbly, then add nuts.
- Spread evenly over squash-apple mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 40 more minutes.
- Cut into squares and top with ice cream, if desired.