Broccoli is a good source of dietary fiber, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin E, manganese, phosphorus, choline, vitamin B1, vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), potassium and copper. Broccoli is also a good source of vitamin B1, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, protein, zinc, calcium, iron, niacin and selenium.
This recipe from EatingWell is perfect for an autumn evening!
Try it tonight.
Cheesy Broccoli-Potato Mash
- 1lbYukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into wedges
- 3/4lbpound broccoli crowns, chopped (4 cups)
- 3/4cupshredded fontina cheese
- 1/2cupnonfat milk, heated
- 1/2tspteaspoon salt
- 1pinchground pepper to taste
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add potatoes, cover and steam for 10 minutes. Place broccoli on top, cover and steam until the potatoes and broccoli are tender, 6 to 8 minutes more.
- Transfer the broccoli to a large bowl and coarsely mash with a potato masher. Add the potatoes, cheese, milk, salt and pepper and continue mashing to desired consistency. Serve immediately.