Cabbage is a member of the Brassicaceae family,which also includes broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and kale. Its ability to tolerate cold temperatures led to the spread of its cultivation across Europe. This vegetable ranges in color from yellow-green to red-purple, and also comes in wrinkly-leaved varieties.
Gingered Cabbage Salad
- 1/2cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1apple, thinly sliced
- 2Tbsplemon juice
- 3Tbspolive oil
- 3Tbspapple cider vinegar
- 1/2tspminced fresh ginger
- 1/2tspdijon mustard
- 1/8garlic, minced
- 1/2cupdried cranberries
- 1/4cupsunflower seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Remove cores and shred cabbage.
- Core and thinly slice apples, and toss with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, ginger, honey, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage and apples. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Add cranberries and sunflower seeds, mixing again to combine.