Before summer officially ends, get this delicious recipe on your table!
Summer squash is a rich source of Vitamin A and C, magnesium, fiber, folate, riboflavin, phosphorus, potassium and Vitamin B6. In addition, it is high in manganese, a mineral which helps the body process fats, carbohydrates, and glucose.
Summer Squash Gratin
- 1large onion, thinly sliced
- 4Tbspolive oil
- 1/3cupgrated hard cheese (Pecorino, parmesan, or whatever you have on hand)
- 3cupssummer squash, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in an ovenproof pan at medium heat. Add onions and, stirring occasionally, cooking until softened and beginning to caramelize (10-15 minutes).
- In a bowl, toss together oil, breadcrumbs, and cheese.
- Add sliced squash to pan, mixing squash and onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top squash and onions with breadcrumb mixture, and cook in the oven for ~20-25 minutes, until squash is tender and topping is golden brown in color.