The University of Vermont Medical Center is teaming up with the Farmhouse Tap and Grill, Hen of the Wood, Pascolo Ristorante, and Have Your Cake catering for a delicious, local supper celebration of this year’s harvest! It’s all happening at the “Great Harvest Festival” taking place on Sunday, September 20, 2015, as part of the EAT x NE local Vermont food festival.
Additionally, there are many other exciting events going on the whole weekend (music, learning events, and more!), but Sunday night is when we, the culinary team members of the University of Vermont Medical Center, get to shine with our tasty side dishes we have created especially for the event! We will be serving a warm black bean and sweet potato salad (see recipe below!) that will soon be offered in our new Garden Atrium dining location. We are also serving up a spinach salad with dried cherries, smoked feta, and either candied or roasted, salted pumpkin seeds dressed with our house made Maple Balsamic dressing. The dressing is also offered in the new Garden Atrium.
Why are we involved in the Eat X Northeast event, you may ask? Great question! The University of Vermont Medical Center is going to be there to provide local and healthy sides for this dinner and to promote awareness of the hospital’s mission to support local, sustainable and organic foods. Local food promotes food security within the community, involves the community and is good for the local environment and economy and provides good nutrition for all! So come on out and enjoy a fun weekend of local food, drinks, and laughs!
Warm or Cold Black Bean and Sweet Potato Salad
- 1/4cupwheat berries
- 1/2lbsweet potatoes
- 1/4lbcorn, cut off the cob
- 1/4red peppers
- 1/2small onion red onions, diced
- 2tspVermont Sunflower oil
- 1/8tspfresh oregano
- 1/8tspkosher salt
- 1/8tspblack pepper
- 10ozVermont Black Beans, cooked
- 2Tbspcilantro leaves, fresh and chopped
- 2Tbspcider vinegar
- 4TbspVermont Sunflower oil
- 1TbspVermont maple syrup
- Cook wheat berries in water for one hour. Drain off excess water and let cool.
- Combine sweet potatoes, corn, peppers, and onion with 2 teaspoons of oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a sheet pan and cook in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 minutes. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine roasted vegetables, beans, and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, maple syrup and 4 tablespoons oil. Whisk until combined.
- Add dressing to bean mixture and mix well. Keep cold for use as a cold side dish, or heat in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until an internal temperature of 135 degrees Fahrenheit has been reached.
Cary Roe is a supervisor in Nutrition Services at The University of Vermont Medical Center.